The Adventures of Tintin

Have you ever read any of Herge's Tintin books?  DSL is a big fan of the young Belgian reporter. He's always borrowing them from the library.  
Les Aventures de Tintin is a series of comic strips created by the Belgian artist, Georges Rémi (1907–1983), who wrote under the pen name of Hergé.  I learned of him when I did a short-term mission work in a French camp near the Alps for a whole summer.  A group of young Bostonian kids came to volunteer for a week and on their time offs, they will go to a local bookstore to buy Tintin books.  I ended up getting my own copy of Le Lotus Bleu, in French no less.
And I bought now-hubby a souvenir shirt.  After more than 20 years, the shirt is still around, somewhere.  Until I found it all tattered up.  I guess I couldn't throw it away.  It's priceless (that means it cost me a lot of Francs to buy that shirt.)
The graphics are still intact.  So, I originally planned on cutting it up to apply it on one of DSL's t-shirt.  But I thought of a scarf, too.
"Make it into a scarf.  I will always grow out of a t-shirt and then you have to cut it up again and again. But not a scarf," were his remarkable comments.  So scarf it was.
I cut up some old t-shirts to add on to the main piece for one side.  T-shirt materials are flimsy and not very warm all by itself.  So I used fleece for the other side.  Just cut one long piece.
More cutting.  This time strips of t-shirt scraps. I sewed them on each end of the scarf. He didn't want fringes--too "girly" for a rambunctious boy.
Added the original label for some authenticity =.)
Et VOILA! Une écharpe pour mon garçon! Ready to wear, esp. during this rainy cold season.
He was so pleased with it, he was showing it off to his classmates and his teachers the very next day.  The only thing I need to do is to embroider his name in.  Just in case!
I'm sure you have some old sentimental t-shirts you or your kids would just love to refashion into a scarf or re-apply on another t-shirt.  What are you waiting for?  Go make one, it's so easy.  And don't forget to share with me what you made.  


And oh, read the book at your own risk.
As the French say, "Couture heureuse."
(Freddie, Kandee, Irwin: Si vous lisez mon français, sentez-vous libre pour le corriger =.

Comments

  1. I love Tintin too! Tried to get the kids hooked on to it, also! It brings back many childhood memories. LOVE LOVE LOVE the scarf idea- you are TOO creative, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf will be around for a while. Let's hope he doesn't lose it! It was so fun to make...so easy, too (but always time is the issue.) Thanks for your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elysia wants to know how you made this? She wants me to learn so I can make one for her. I don't know how to sew, she is really trying me....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless Calendar

SOMETHING RED...